Aircraft Registration

Let me share with you the FAA aircraft registration and basic paperwork requirements for selling or buying an airplane Light Sport Aircraft (LSA).

There are three pieces of paper required for the sales of an aircraft from one owner to another:

  • First, the seller must sign the back of the official FAA registration document 8050-3 to the new owner. This must be the original card that is required in the aircraft. It is the seller’s responsibility to send this into the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750  P.O. Box 25504 Oklahoma City, OK 73125. However, what is usually done is the seller files out the back for the new owner/buyer and gives this to the buyer who sends it in with the other documents required as described below. This is best for the new owner/buyer to make sure gets to the FAA as needed.
  • Second, the buyer/new owner must have an “Aircraft Bill of Sale” for the purchased aircraft. This is FAA form 8050-2 and is downloadable from the FAA web site.
  • Third is the FAA “Aircraft Registration Application” document FAA form # 8050-1. This is a carbon copy document that can NOT be downloaded. You must get this at your local FSDO office. You fill this out and keep the pink copy in the aircraft as the official registration up to 90 days after it is filled out and signed by the new owner.
In addition to the above documents, you must provide a $5.00 fee (check to “FAA Aircraft registry” is best) for the registration application. If any one of these FOUR (4) items are not provided, your registration will be held up until you they receive everything:
  • Old “Certificate of Aircraft Registration” from the seller 8050-3
  • Aircraft Bill of Sale 8050-2
  • Application for Registration 8050-1
  • Five dollars ($5.00)

Got questions?

Contact Paul